Caregiving is a time-consuming responsibility that’s physically and emotionally draining. Sleep is a luxury enjoyed sparingly. Life is consumed by the care-recipient and self-care is seemingly non-existent. Observers emphasize the importance of self-care, but never volunteer time for its completion. Many caregivers are restricted to the confines of home and don’t have infinite self-care options. Few are allowed the time for walking or jogging nature trails. There are no gym visits or facials and massages. Every minute of the day revolves around the care-recipient’s needs.
How can time for self-care be integrated into your hectic schedule? Take advantage of available time during the day. Utilizing brief moments correctly allows for proper self-care management. Relieve stress and boost your confidence by practicing these beneficial self-care tips.
- Compliment yourself each morning. Compose a list of your best qualities. Read this list when in doubt of your self-worth.
- Perform an emotions self-check. Sit calmly for a designated amount of time and ponder exactly what you’re feeling. Document those feelings.
- Limit the negativity transpiring in your life. Eliminate people and social media serving no positive purpose in your current lifestyle.
- Look through a window and appreciate the surrounding natural environment.
- Let loose! Turn on your favorite tunes and get lost in the music. Learn to laugh and enjoy being you.
- Complete controlled breathing or moderate stretching exercises.
- Create an in-home exercise routine suitable for your time schedule and fitness level.
- Re-evaluate your diet and include healthier versions of the foods you love.
- Realize and document your thoughts and concerns. Suggest an open discussion with family and friends to voice your objections.
- Splurge and treat yourself to a favorite food, new wardrobe piece, or 10 minutes of alone time.
- Change your monotonous daily schedule by integrating one new activity.
- Find a secluded location within your home and sit in silence for a short moment. Block out surrounding sounds and concentrate on breathing.
- Walk outside or sit near a window and absorb a little sunshine.
- Indulge in a 10 minute power nap and return to caregiving refreshed.
- Circulate aromas throughout your home stimulating mood and senses.
- When given the opportunity, ask for and accept help.
Self-care is a lifestyle change involving consistent care of the mind, body, and soul. Bodily systems work in unison to create a physical, mental, and emotional balance. Integrating the mentioned tips into your daily schedule will alleviate everyday stress and improve self-confidence. Open your mind and allow yourself deserved care. Thank you for reading! Please share!